This is a blog about computers by an author who knows very little about computers.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A few thoughts about Refworks:

I began my Refworks assignment this past Monday and much to my dismay I am still working on it. However, I am determined to finish before Friday so that I can enjoy the long weekend. Figuring out Refworks and Scopus were fairly easy. I just poked around and tried a few things until I got the hang of it. I work and learn much better from a hands-on approach. Although, I had to use the help guide in Refworks to learn that I needed to set my preferences in Google Scholar fist before I would have the option of exporting my source to Refworks. Overall, I think that Refworks is an easy-to-use and helpful program. My only hang-up is that it doesn’t always capture all of the information needed to complete a citation. I have my 100 citations and I’m currently working on filling in the holes that Refworks left behind. Sometimes the information is in the Refworks record but was left out of the citation, and sometimes the information simply isn’t there and I need to look up that work again to find it. I’m also looking though my collection of references and marking the ones that I found using Scopus to separate them from the references from Google Scholar. I looked but Refworks does not appear to have the capability of carrying out this task for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment