This is a blog about computers by an author who knows very little about computers.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How I managed to put “the fragment” on the Internet

First, I downloaded PuTTY, Kompozer, and FileZilla onto my computer. Next, I logged into PuTTY. I found “public” but I couldn’t find “html” or “index.html.” I ended my PuTTY session. I decided to check out FileZilla and confirmed that “html” or “index.html” didn’t exist. Then when I went to log back into PuTTY denied me access. I would type my username and then the system would prompt me for a password and then wouldn’t accept my password. I did try this several times—no caps lock and I typed my password very carefully. I called the Helpdesk to find out why my access was denied. The IT person I talked to didn’t know what the problem was and very adamantly refused to find out. He told me to install WinSCP, which is a free SFTP and FTP client for Windows. I installed WinSCP and discovered the “html” file had appeared in “public.” The “html” file was also now visible when I logged into FileZilla. I used Kompozer and FileZilla to post my webpage. This was very easy barring a minor freak-out monument on the road to figuring out the URL of my page.

No comments:

Post a Comment